Friday, May 24, 2024

The Last Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal is the last in a great series

 

The Last Hope (Maggie Hope #11)The Last Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have been a fan of Maggie Hope mysteries since 2016, according to my Goodreads account. I can't even begin tell you how many people I've recommended this series to, online and in person, to reading friends, historical fiction fans, and of course during my short but illustrious career as a library aide. I love these books.

Maggie Hope. Her name sounds cute, but she is so much more than a cute secretary-turned-spy. She is amazing. She handles everything--her job, her friends, her life, her ability to survive anything Churchill and WWII throw her way--she does it all, and always with a thread of hope.

In this last book, we watch Maggie receive a really tough assignment. We see her reunite with Coco Chanel, her former friend/nemesis, and we watch a really complex situation unfold there (don't forget to read the author's extensive notes, which are really just so very good). We meet a bullfighter, who is delightful surprise. We get to see another facet of the war: the race to the atomic bomb. And there are a lot of undercurrents that keep the reader turning pages in this novel.

If we have to leave Maggie Hope, we have left her in good hands and with a really awesome final book in the series. Thank you, Susan Elia MacNeal. Thank you for Maggie and for Hope.

Special thanks to NetGalley and the author and her publisher for a review copy of the novel. All opinions, including my gushing over this series, are absolutely my own.

No comments: