Monday, July 13, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge

Everything Austen Challenge 2009

I read about this from author Trish Perry's blog. What fun! Even though I need a new challenge like the proverbial hole in the head. But I can't resist Jane Austen!

When I was classifying books once on Library Thing.com, I used the word "Austenesque" to describe books that were either based upon Jane Austen's works, were modern retellings, or what have you. Then as I packed the books from my now-broken bookshelf, I discovered I had a small box of Austenesque literature. This challenge will, honestly, give me the chance to finish some of those books.

Here's the thing with challenges: Things crop up that distract me from my goal. New books come out, or I find treasures at the library. I also know if the list is too long (as in the Austen X2 challenge!) I will not have a prayer of finishing.

Therefore, I will list all the books and movies from which I can choose! This gives me some wiggle room.

I commit to reading and/or watching six between now and the end of the challenge.

These are the books currently in my possession to read:

  • The Second Mrs. Darcy by Elizabeth Aston
  • Becoming Jane Austen by Jon Spence **in process--not an easy read!**
  • The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James
  • Jane Austen in Boca by Paula Marantz Cohen
  • Jane Austen in Scarsdale by Paula Marantz Cohen
  • North by Northanger: Or, the Shades of Pemberley, a Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mystery by Carrie Bebris
  • Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo

These are the movies currently in my collection to watch:

  • Pride and Prejudice (The BBC Miniseries)
  • Sense and Sensibility (The Emma Thompson version
  • a few BBC adaptations of Austen novels I taped from PBS's Austen marathon last winter.
    (I think Miss Austen Presents is one of them, which I've wanted to watch for a while now.)

These are the books currently on my wish list:

  • The Darcy Connection by Elizabeth Aston
  • Mr. Darcy's Dream by Elizabeth Aston

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to see what you decide to add to your challenge list!!

Trish Perry said...

Yeah, Patti, I identify with your need for MORE to read and do. That's why I stuck three movies in there.

But seeing everyone's lists makes me want to read so many of the choices! I agree that Beth Patillo's book sounds funny. I think we may have to repeat this challenge next year . . .

vvb32 reads said...

Hi fellow Everything Austen participant, just wanted to invite you to the
Pemberley Ball, Nov 20-22, 2009