Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Spiritual Journal

Anyone who knows me in real life has probably received a journal from me at some point. I love journals! I have been a diarist/journal-keeper since around fifth grade or so, but not consistently through the past 25-plus years. I've been more faithful to the craft since around 2000, when I first read Nicole Johnson's Fresh-Brewed Life: A Stirring Invitation to Wake Up Your Soul. This was an important book to me (revisit the top of this blog and see its title to see how much!).

Unfortunately, this year has not been a good journaling year. Normally I'm halfway through my second blank book by mid-August, but this year, I still have plenty of space in my journal. I just haven't been writing as much by hand. While that saddens me, I didn't do anything about it.

Until today.

Stephanie is one of my Women at Home friends, one of those gals who's walked through fire with me but whom I've never met in person. I visit her blog regularly, and yet, I missed this honey of a link before today, when I accidentally clicked on it in the margin of her blog.

Journaling as Spiritual Discipline.

Oh my goodness!

I was amazed. How did I miss it before? I don't know. But what I can say is, I've had as a goal all summer to read and study the Word more closely, but I just haven't gotten it done. I just haven't, and no excuse is good enough. But this blog, this entry, reawakened the desire in me to track my spiritual life so I can STAY on track with my spiritual life, and not let it go by the wayside, neglected.

I found an unused journal in my box of unused journals that closely matches the size of my Bible. I printed out portions of the journal entry so I'd have a couple of the examples and the suggested guidelines, and glued them into the first several pages of my journal.

Then I began:


Ann Voskamp? I don't know you, but I thank you.

6 comments:

Ann Kroeker said...

You didn't yet encounter Ann Voskamp? She's a treasure. Poetic, full of grace, God-seeker, humble, brilliant...

Stephanie said...

Yea Pattie! While I have that saved in my reader, I, too, need to go back and print it to put in my journal. I can't believe that you have never read her blog ... you are in for a huge treat (and blessing).

Pattie said...

I'm a firm believer that I'm sometimes clueless for a reason. I think today I discovered her because I was meant to discover her today..."for such a time as this."

Christine Satterfield said...

Wow. I love that God shows us things at the exact right moment. I admire your journaling. I want to. I've tried to. But, just don't. But, I'm a fan of people who do!

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Great post ... again ... loved it the first time and again today!! I'm using this concept in my Bible in 90 Challenge ... bought the 90 days Bible and am writing key words on the side ...

HisFireFly said...

I'm glad to have stopped by to meet you! I journal in a different way, but loved linking back to Ann's post here.
As you pick up your pen, know that He longs to speak to you even more than you hunger to hear.