Monday, September 14, 2009

I've got the joy...


My good friend Teri Lynne over at Pleasing to You is celebrating her 100th post with a Joy Party. What fun!

I'm thrilled to participate and it has always been my joy to encourage Teri over the years. We were college buddies at SBU--I was her RA at Leslie Hall, and I give her full credit for helping me pass Debate. (For a girl who hates arguing, it was a tough class for me! Without her late-night notecard and flow chart aid, I might have failed...). She also never held a grudge after I had to write her and her suitemates up for being noisy during finals week (probably because I had the stomach flu and another girl literally had to walk me down the hallway!).

After I graduated, Teri and I were in and out of touch over the years, connecting online in the mid-90s, and then reconnecting about three years ago. It's been such fun to see how God has given her such encouraging things to say about being a woman, a wife, a mom, a teacher, a mentor, and a minister.

So, without further ado, here is a list of some things that bring me joy:
  • Looking back on my life (since I'm nearing a hallmark birthday, this has been on my mind for the past several months) and seeing how far I've come. Looking back at the valleys God has brought me through, and looking ahead to a future orchestrated by Him. I thank Him all the time for being with me, not giving up on me, and for molding me into the woman He would have me be. Unfortunately this self is pretty stubborn, so it makes His job much harder.

  • Watching my girls dance. This is my tenth season as a dance mom, and it always makes my heart hurt (in a good way) to watch my daughters dance. This often causes an overflow of joy out of my eyes in the form of tears, for which my girls forgive me (sometimes with an eyeroll and "Oh Mom," but I know the forgiveness is there, deep down...).

  • Being good friends with my sister again. She and I have had our moments, as all sisters do, but since our parents' divorce, we have become very close. It's been wonderful to be closer to her in our hearts, as well as in driving distance.

  • All of my online friends. What a joy and a privilege to be involved in online friendships and ministry opportunities! I've "virtually" met so many wonderful godly Christian women over the past thirteen years of being online, and I am truly blessed. It's a joy to turn on my computer each day.

  • Writing brings me joy. It also brings me angst, and tears, and frustration, and many other emotions both positive and negative. Overall, though, if I didn't write, I really believe I'd shrivel up inside, like the Grinch and his heart that's two sizes too small.

1 comment:

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Loved the writing part ... joy, angst, etc ... so very true! And how I adore you ... I still think back to that first meeting. You came into my room and introduced yourself to me and my parents and promised to take care of me. Look at us now ... you are one of the most powerful encouragers in my life and one of my dearest friends. I love you so!!