Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Here Burns My Candle

For the CFBA post about this book, click here.

Here Burns My Candle is an engrossing story set in eighteenth century Scotland. Against the backdrop of Bonny Prince Charlie's rebellion against King George in September 1745, Liz Curtis Higgs tells the Biblical story of Naomi and Ruth.

This novel is very well-written. In fact, if you were to read her early contemporary Christian fiction (which I have to admit, Mixed Signals was my favorite), I doubt you'd even recognize that they were written by the same author. Liz has certainly found her niche in historical Scottish fiction.

I have to mention that the characters speak in authentic dialects. It is charming, yet it slowed me down. Normally I am an extremely fast reader, but it took me several days to finish this novel. The glossary in the back of the book is valuable, though most unfamiliar words can be inferred through the narrative's context.

All in all, a bonny beginning to a new series. I wish monie blissins to Liz.

No comments: