Saturday, November 05, 2011

My Wilder Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insights, November 5, 2011
This review is from: The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie (Hardcover)
I have been a Laura Ingalls Wilder nut since I was about seven years old, and I have a collection of many books about Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane. So for me, most (maybe 90%) of the information and facts given here were not new. I have also visited the De Smet and Mansfield historical sites more than once over the years.

That said, McClure's journey as depicted in the book was interesting. I enjoyed her interactions with the folks who run the historical sites, and I loved that she got her boyfriend to read the books too. I identified with her grown-up disillusionment after reading some of the literary analyses.

The resources in the back were helpful as well, since there has been more Wilder/Lane scholarship in the past five years.

Overall, I think many readers of the "Little House" series of books will enjoy the book. But true Wilder scholars probably will not.

No comments: