Thursday, March 08, 2012

Late to the party--day 3

Here is my response to the prompt here.

Photo courtesy of Mr. Think Tank.

Nestled between two other houses on the rain-wet street, the cottage seemed just one of many. Similar in style and structure as its sister homes, unassuming in nature at first glance, the house did not attract notice; at least, not like the sunset orange cottage two doors down.

This house, however, was not like the others. Purple, blue and green paints quietly blended into a visual cacophony of color. The funny thing was, though, the old man who lived in the purple, blue, and green-festooned home thought his house was grey.

Bushes, trees, fences, other houses---all in shades of grey.

He was color blind, you see.

How often are we like the old man who lived in the purple, blue, and green house? We live in a gorgeous, color-festooned world, full of beautiful things both big and small. Blessings all ours, with ten thousand beside, as the old hymn of our faith reminds us.

Yet all we see is shades of grey.

I’m just as guilty as the rest of the world. I am surrounded by amazing beauty, both in my home and just outside my door. I cannot even tell you, mostly because I’m embarrassed, how often I allow the mundane details and problems of my life to color my entire world grey. Bland. Boring. Uneventful. Even depressing.

Oh Lord, please open my color-blind eyes to Your glory. Your majesty expressed in Your creation, every day.

1 comment:

Ebony said...

How important color is in our lives! I really, really love this.