Sunday, April 08, 2012

For whom the pen writes...

The title is a play on a phrase from John Donne's Meditation XVII:
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
 This is the Allume prompt from Friday, but as usual I'm behind.

For whom the pen writes....it writes for Thee.


For whom do I write? I write for God and for myself, because if I wrote for other people, I'd have quit long ago. I don't get a whole lot of traffic on my blog. In fact, it's a rare entry that even gets one comment anymore. I know the above quotation says "no man is an island," but I often feel like one here. I don't really have many who follow me here, and few who comment. I don't advertise much, and I don't get out in the blogosphere much like I used to.

In the past I've poured out my doubts, thoughts, fears, lessons learned, and of course the very few successes I've had. I'm learning that this writing life of mine is full of a lot of downs and very few ups. But I press on. I keep going.

Occasionally at my blog I write book reviews in exchange for books. Sometimes an author will stop by to thank me for my book review, which is always nice since book reviewers are unsung and unnoticed most of the time.

I have often thought of closing up shop here at Fresh-Brewed Writer. But I keep on, because the blog's been around for several years, and I have a lot of memories here.

2 comments:

Memories of yesterday said...

Oh I hear you on the lack of comments and going on anyway. I'm glad you stay open!

Beth said...

Thought provoking quote...Great post!