Monday, November 04, 2013

Review: Greetings from the Flipside

CFBA presented this book a couple of weeks ago, and I posted that intro here. I received my copy of the book about a week later.

Greetings from the Flipside is a quirky story by coauthors Gutteridge and McKay. I signed up to review this novel because I had totally enjoyed their previous book Never the Bride. I was not disappointed. Quirky is the best word I can think of to describe this novel. Fun, funny, silly, and profound all at once, the story of greeting card writer wannabe Hope is a fun, yet profound, view into the world of a creative woman who feels trapped in her own life.

The best part of the book, for me, is the characters. They're fun and unusual, and yes, quirky. Not bizarre, but certainly not "stock characters" or what anyone would consider "normal" in the usual sense.

The plot twists were enough to keep me guessing, and for an English teacher and avid reader (and sometimes cynical critic of fiction), that's quite a job. But I enjoyed this book, all the plot twists and turns, and I really am glad I was able to read and review it.

This book is for fans of unusual (not speculative, but not predictable) fiction. It's lighthearted, yet has its moments of grounding. It's not overly preachy, but still has a message consistent with a Christian worldview. And for those who enjoy a good romantic comedy, I think this one delivers an enjoyable story.

No comments: