Saturday, November 30, 2013

Where ya been?

This probably seems like a crazy title for someone who purports to be somewhat of an expert in American English language usage. Indeed.

But sometimes, friends, we gotta tell it like it IS.

I've been offline a lot the past couple of weeks (well, I've been on Facebook playing games and stalking friends' holiday photos, but who hasn't?). I have not, as you might wonder, been writing a novel for National Novel Writing Month. I started, but then, well, I got bored. I'm not sure why.

So I quit.

Then I had surgery. Again. On my right ear. Again. It's the third ear surgery I have had in the past 24 months.

This time around, I gave myself permission to take time off, to recover. Thankfully my husband was okay with me taking the winter term off from teaching, so other than possibly substituting after my next check-up with the ear surgeon, I am off till January.

I'm also taking a break from most of my volunteering with Wives of Faith. I love the ministry, but it was time for me to step back and take more than a one- or two-week break for moving or surgery. I think having the holidays off will be good for me.

I have been reading and watching movies, spending more purposeful time with my family, and resting. Not just sleeping more, but really trying to rest. (Then again, the other day doing laundry and taking a shower nearly did me in--so that's the extent of my energy levels these days!)

I think this break will rejuvenate the writing part of my brain, hopefully rejuvenate my teaching brain, and certainly give me some time to evaluate what I want to do with my time and energy.

No comments: