Sunday, June 15, 2014

Weeks with nothing new, then suddenly...

...two posts in one day?

I have had a huge writing slump going on in the midst of my busy life. We have had some great news (staying in Alaska another year since my husband was picked up for promotion and pinned on just over a month later) and some not-so-great news (every job I've applied for, teaching, office, and writing, I've gotten a "thank you for applying but we've gone in another direction/chosen someone else/you suck" email--well, maybe not the last one, but that's what it feels like).



Overall, though, life is good. We have stability and no waiting until nine months from now, when we'll be biting our nails to the quick waiting on orders for the next assignment.

I'm finally reading Jen Hatmaker's book 7 at long last, with a group (thank you, accountability), and it's motivating me to do the pre-PCS purge a year early (I'm not working, so what's my excuse, right?). But I'm trying to listen to the rest of the story. The rest of what God's telling me. It's not just our excessive stuff. It's the hold that stuff has on me. Emotional ties to the little things that may not take up much drawer space, but somehow they are heavy all by themselves.



I miss my family. I miss my far-flung friends. Some days living here is fine, but other days it's still hard because of the distance in time and miles and money.

I'm hoping the discipline of writing every day, if I can keep it up, will help me get back into the swing of things. Because if I'm not using this ability, this gift, I might lose it.

No comments: