Thursday, October 30, 2014

October 30th: Joy for Beginners

Joy for Beginners by Erica Bauermeister

I enjoy Erica Bauermeister's work. She does a wonderful job in her novels of switching points of view.

From my new smartphone Kindle app.
I'm still trying to learn this
new technology!
Summary on Goodreads: At an intimate, festive dinner party in Seattle, six women gather to celebrate their friend Kate's recovery from cancer. Wineglass in hand, Kate strikes a bargain with them. To celebrate her new lease on life, she'll do the one thing that's always terrified her: white-water rafting. But if she goes, all of them will also do something they always swore they'd never do-and Kate is going to choose their adventures.

Shimmering with warmth, wit, and insight,
Joy for Beginners is a celebration of life: unexpected, lyrical, and deeply satisfying.


I think what I liked about this was that the friends knew each other and challenged one another in encouraging and good ways.

One of the quotations I'd marked says this: "She couldn't remember the last time she had really looked up and paid attention to anything higher than the top of her children's heads."

Lessons and reminders:
Wake up. Pay attention. Listen. Learn. Try new things. Treasure your friends. Treasure your families. And don't be afraid.

To read more of this #31DaysofBooks series, visit the introduction post.

2 comments:

Leann said...

I read her book, School of Essential Ingredients and LOVED IT! Joy for Beginners is on my NOOK and I need to read it. I also saw that she has another one out that I need to check out.

Pattie said...

"The Lost Art of Mixing" is a sequel to "School of Essential Ingredients" and it's good. :)