Saturday, October 04, 2014

October 4th: Pride and Prejudice and Jane Austen


You never forget your first Austen.



I first read this classic novel in tenth grade after being cast as a party guest (Miss Belinda) in our school's production of Pride and Prejudice. (I had a dance and a line. I was so happy!) The director asked the cast to read the novel, so I did. I loved it. There was something so wonderful and grown-up and romantic about Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. He was such a stuck-up snob, I couldn't wait to see him fall for Lizzy. And he did. It was so satisfying.

The BBC miniseries years later endeared me to Colin Firth, who will forever and always be my cinematic crush. But nothing will ever match my high school production--or those Pepto-Bismol-pink cast sweatshirts.

(I'd share a photo, but mine is in storage in Missouri; plus, it's a color that once seen can never be unseen. You're welcome.)

Since tenth grade, I have read the other five of Austen's novels. The only one I love as much as Pride and Prejudice is Sense and Sensibility (which as of this writing I am rereading on my Kindle).

Pride and Prejudice will remain one of my favorite novels.

PS: Steve Wheeler, if you're out there somewhere, remember this? "We can go out THIS way. Our carriage is near THIS door." Poor Richard. To read more of this #31DaysofBooks series, visit the introduction post.

2 comments:

Marian Frizzell said...

I have to say, Persuasion is my favourite. There's something about Anne's quiet strength that resonates with me. But I do love Pride & Prejudice as well as Sense & Sensibility. I spend most of Emma cringing--sad but true.

Leann said...

Emily has my copy... I think she read it three times last school year just for fun. LOL I will have to either steal it back from here or buy another copy if I ever want to see it again. I am loving your book selections so much!!!