Monday, January 12, 2009

What are you reading?

This week is a crazy-busy week in my world. Not only is it a busy week at work (I am a trainer and weight management program coordinator at Curves), it is a busy week at dance. My girls are in a production of the ballet Sleeping Beauty, and as such, we have nightly rehearsals. The performances--four of them--are this weekend.

So, I have three books I want to/need to read this week. I imagine that if I don't get all caught up in socializing (which is part of what I see as my ministry, but that's another story), I might get some reading done. (I also have some knitting for birthday gifts as well, and I can knit and talk at the same time!)

I have begun my book club's next selection, The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper. It's the book with the lovely yellow cover you've seen at your local Starbucks. I tend to read nonfiction much more slowly than fiction, so this book is a bit slow going for me. But it's beautifully written with vivid imagery. I need to finish this by next Tuesday evening, because that's when we meet to discuss. I can't show up without finishing. I did that last year with Under the Tuscan Sun, and found out most of the gals hadn't been able to finish that one either! But I've had this book in my hands for several weeks. No excuses.

The next one is a library book, for the Jewish Lit challenge: Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes by Lauren Baratz-Logsted. It's a Red Dress Ink chick lit book, and so far it's hilarious! I need to finish it by next week, too, because it's due next Monday.

The third book in my stack I haven't begun, but it's "due" next week as a part of a CFBA tour, Kaye Dacus' debut novel Stand-In Groom. I've read Kaye's posts on the ACFW board, and loop, for a couple of years now, and I am thrilled to see she's gotten a book published. It sounds like a fun read, although I'm not sure if it's humorous or not. I guess I'll have to let you know next week!

No comments: