Monday, April 20, 2009

Every Good and Perfect Gift book review

Every Good and Perfect Gift is novelist Sharon Souza's first novel.

Publisher's Summary:

After thirty close years, Gabby and DeeDee's lifelong friendship holds no surprises. Except for one: Thirty-eight-year-old DeeDee and her husband have decided to conceive their first child. And despite their concerns and a struggle with infertility, DeeDee finally gives birth to a healthy baby. But while the friends believe they have faced their greatest challenge, an unexpected tragedy will alter their lives and relationship forever.

In the classic tradition of movies such as Beaches and Steel Magnolias, Every Good and Perfect Gift shares a heartwarming story of friendship that overcomes all odds. Filled with laughter, tears, and everything in between, Gabby and DeeDee's journey will strike a chord with female readers of all ages.

Review:

I first received this book last year, and I tried two different times to begin reading it. At the time, I was going through a very difficult ordeal with a friend of mine and this book hit too close to home for me. So, I set it aside.

Recently I found this book in my box of review books and decided to give it a try. Again, I found myself too close to the subject matter of mental illness and friendship issues.

To the author's credit, she totally captures the friendship angle between Gabby and Dee Dee. And her writing seems to be very good. I mean, if she can evoke that kind of feeling in me and I can't even get past the first few chapters, well, that says something, I believe.

I just can't relive that difficulty again. Not when another friend needs me to be strong for her next ordeal.

No comments: