Monday, June 08, 2009

Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes


Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes is the latest release from the always-delightful Robin Jones Gunn.

Publisher's Summary:

When a mammogram result comes back abnormal, midlife mama Summer Finley makes a snap decision to relegate fear to the back burner and fulfill a lifelong dream. Summer heads for Holland where she meets up with tulips, wooden shoes, and her best friend, Noelle.

Pen pals since fourth grade, Summer and Noelle have never met face-to-face. Through decades of heart-level correspondence, they have sustained a deep friendship. A week of adventure helps both women trade anxiety for a renewed and deeper trust in God. When Summer confides in Noelle about the abnormal medical report, Noelle finds the freedom to share a long-held heartache, and both women discover they needed each other more than they realized.

Women ages 35 and up, readers of Christian Boomer Lit, and fans of books such as The Yada Yada Prayer Group will enjoy Robin Jones Gunn’s humorous and uplifting style. True-to-life characters and moments of poignancy bring a deeper understanding of the value of life and the gift of true friends. Readers guide and bonus material included.


About the FABULOUS AUTHOR:

Robin Jones Gunn is the best-selling and award-winning author of over seventy books, including the Glenbrooke, Christy Miller, Sierra Jensen, Katie Weldon, and Christy and Todd: The College Years teen series. The Sisterchicks® series has sold more than 300,000 units, bringing her total sales to more than 3.5 million books worldwide. A Christy Award winner, Robin is a popular speaker, both at home and abroad, and is frequently interviewed on radio and on television. www.robingunn.com www.sisterchicks.com


Pattie's Review:

OK, so anyone who knows me knows I LOVE me some Robin Jones Gunn. I did a book review in college of one of the Christy Miller books, and while I liked it, it was not exactly accessible to me as a college student struggling to balance American novels, Romantic poetry, and secondary education methods!

Fast forward to 1995. I was taking a semester break from grad school, and needed a reading break from all the heavy lit I was cramming in preparation for my master's comps. Enter the local Christian bookstore and a book called Secrets. I was hooked! I felt like Jessica was a kindred spirit--poor struggling English teachers that we both were. I've been a faithful follower of Robin's work in the Glenbrooke and Sisterchicks series ever since.

My favorite thing about Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes was how the friends connected after not having seen each other in decades. That comforts me, because as a military wife, I'm dealing with a LOT of friendship separation right now.

Another great part comes in the middle of the novel. Summer tells Noelle, "I want to remember it [the Bible verse]. There's a difference for me between memorizing something and really holding on to it in my heart." Noelle replies, "You want to own the truth and not just rent the words." Isn't that an amazing Truth?

I also loved how each woman tries very hard to enjoy the moments they share together, and enjoy life where they are in each moment.

So what are you waiting for? Go and order this book here or here, or drive on down to your local Christian bookstore and get it today!

No comments: