Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin


My friend Dana is always good for a book recommendation. This latest one is no exception. I picked up my own copy of Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project yesterday and I'm engrossed in it already.

I completely identify with the author's position: I'm generally a happy person, but I could be more appreciative and happier in general. She says, "I'm happy, but not as happy as I should be."

I have blessings galore, but often feel an emotional sort of malaise. I don't know if I'm just a malcontent, or a latent pessimist, or what my problem is.

Hence, this book and this project.

Yesterday I purchased the book after spending time wandering around Barnes & Noble (a happy time for me). Then my youngest daughter and I went to Joann's craft store and wandered around. I ended up finding yarn on sale--it's from the Debbie Stoller (of Stitch & Bitch fame) line. I also found a free crochet pattern for a striped scarf, and I decided to make it with the two instead of the four colors. I'm not really a crocheter, but since I thought it might be faster than knitting, I went ahead and started it yesterday.

One thing that also makes me happy is starting new projects. My problem generally comes in the middle, when I can't see the end and get discouraged. But finishing things also makes me happy, so let's see if we can figure out the happies in the middle of things.

No comments: