Wednesday, March 14, 2012

all about perspective


What is my perspective?

Good question.

I started this blog in 2005 (I thought it was sooner, but I may have deleted some posts at some point) as a writing blog. My "personal" blog was on xanga at the time, and this was an "extra" place for me to experiment with writing and book reviewing. At the time I had left teaching and was thinking of pursuing writing.

In 2006, my husband went active duty, and off we went on our military great adventure. I continued writing and reviewing books, as I had been doing since 1995. I was blessed to see some publishing credits, as well as a return to the classroom last year.

I've generally thought of myself as a woman of many trades who masters none! I am not an absolute expert on anything. I know a little bit about a lot of stuff. I'm great with a search engine and I can find info for people usually pretty quickly. I can speak in front of a crowd. I know what it's like to mother daughters. I know what it's like to experience my parents' divorce after their 35th wedding anniversary. I know what it's like to substitute teach, to teach middle schoolers, to teach high school, to hug students after a classmate's suicide. I know what it's like to chaperone prom after not going to my own in high school. I know what it's like to have a sister with infertility. I know what it's like to adopt an older dog into our home and hearts. I also know what it's like to face the decision to put our dog down humanely (two different dogs). I know what it's like to be home while my husband is in the Middle East serving his country. I have seen the northern lights, eagles in flight, and a moose being butchered on the side of the road.

In short, I know my own experiences, and I hope that my optimistic perspective on life, with all its challenges and quirks and twists and turns, would somehow inspire others to look heavenward. To see the extraordinary in the ordinary. To look more closely, write things down for posterity, and to love with open hearts.

No comments: