Friday, May 11, 2012

Why I Love Being a Military Wife

Welcome! I'm Pattie, and as my blog title says, I'm a chaplain's wife. I've been married to my wonderful husband for the past 20 years and 51 weeks, and we have two daughters, a teen and a tween. We currently make our home in Alaska, and it's been a wild and crazy 9 months here so far!

I often refer to myself as a reluctant military wife. It took me a while to warm up to the idea of my husband going into active duty service. He decided to join the Air Force Reserves after he finished his Doctorate of Ministry, while he was still a small-church pastor--we joke it's because I said no to another degree, so he joined the Air Force so they could send him to school! He's a man who enjoys a good challenge, and this seemed like a good ministry opportunity. In the middle of his application process, our country was devastated by 9/11. He proudly swore into the military on Valentine's Day 2002. I told the story about how he decided to go active in 2006 in the book Faith Deployed...Again; I won't lie--it was a struggle for me, in my heart, to relinquish the control I held over my life. However, I can tell you with absolute certainty today that I've never regretted that choice since.

From four years in North Dakota, to one in San Antonio, Texas, and finally now in Alaska--it's been a great ride. The military chapel community has been immeasurably supportive of my service, in whatever form it's taken over the years (and I've had a range of very active to not so much). That kind of support is uncommon for civilian pastor's wives. {If you happen to be a pastor's wife reading this, I have been there. God sees all that you do and it is a fragrant offering to Him. Even if not one person in the church has a kind word for you, God does. He sees. He knows. He is there. And I believe you've got a crown in heaven with your name on it!}

My husband continues to work hard wherever the Lord sends him, and he likes his job. (That's a very big deal.) I think that might be one of my most favorite things about being a military wife: seeing him love his job. Even when it takes him far, far away.

Our girls have gotten to see and do things through our travels that many people never get to experience.  That is something else that I appreciate about being a family in the service.

I have met so many women at each duty station--but even more than that, I've met many online too, through Wives of Faith. Sara Horn formed an online branch to her in-person support group of women, and it has grown exponentially over the past five years. I am honored to serve alongside a wonderful team of leaders, using my spiritual gifts of proofreading and posting. (I joke that I'm saving the world, one comma at a time. You never know, right?)

I have also just finished a year back in the college classroom, and I sit before the screen today exhausted in mind and body, but refreshed in spirit that the Lord redeemed my teacher self, the one who burned out and got a bit lost six years ago.

So, that's me. Always busy, always grateful, and so glad to "meet" you!

5 comments:

Mrs. H said...

Your story is incredible! And I've read Faith Deployed...Again!
What an enormous blessing you've been given to serve the Lord through the military!

You're definitely a rockstar!

Happy Milspouse Appreciation Day! :)

Marinewife1111 {Marcella} said...

Happy (a little late) Military Spouse Appreciation day.
I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! :)

TheAlbrechtSquad said...

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I want to echo the sentiments from one of the commenters above about thanking you for your service as a Chaplain's wife. I know we have been blessed with amazing chaplains that have been a source of strength for my husband and I.

Rhe Christine said...

Hi Pattie! I am a new follower and also part of Wives of Faith! I'm so glad to have found your blog :) I am so thankful for you and for people like your husband that serve as Chaplains. Thank you and God Bless!

Happy Mother's Day from Cammo Style Love

Mack said...

Hi! I am a little late from the BlogHop. It was nice to meet you! Happy belated military spouse appreciation day and Mother's Day!!!! Amanda

mickandmackarmyadventures.blogspot.com