Tuesday, October 28, 2014

October 28th: A Wrinkle in Time


Gosh, I loved 5th grade.

I had the best teacher, Ms. S., for the second half of fifth grade (we moved from Iowa to St. Louis in January, so I don't remember my Iowa 5th grade teacher. I'm sure she was a good teacher, though.) Ms. S. was not only my first teacher who went by "Ms." but also she had a great habit: she read aloud to our class every day the last twenty minutes.

Of course, moving is always awkward and adjusting is not easy, so when we finally got into school, it was midway through the month and midway through the readaloud book, which was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I was fascinated, but lost, so Ms. S. suggested I check the book out at the school library. It was checked out. Then the bookmobile, that magical library-in-a-truck, arrived, and I was able to get it there.

To say I devoured the book is probably an understatement.
I caught up to the class and kept on going till I finished. Oh, how I wanted to be Meg.

Over the next couple of years, I discovered and read A Wind in the Door and A Swiftly Tilting Planet (which was my favorite). I did a book report on Planet in 8th grade, in fact, complete with a poster and a passionate plea for the trilogy to be required reading.

I loved reading this aloud to my girls the summer of 2007 while my husband was away. That was a great summer for reading books aloud, now that I think about it...


To read more of this #31DaysofBooks series, visit the introduction post.

No comments: