Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Day 13: Malt Attack! {31 Days of Friendship}


It's already evening and the day got away from me somehow--and all my lofty writing ideas that were floating around in my head during my morning walk just kept swimming, and I felt like Doug in Up (to mix my Pixar metaphors a bit) - "Squirrel!"

Anyway, tonight I'm going to share a favorite college memory with you about one of my best friends ever, Emma. (I wrote about Emma* the other day.) Emma and I knew each other in church youth choir, and then three years later we met back up in college. It was awesome. She knew me, she knew my family; I knew her and had met her family too. We had that awkward get-to-know-you out of the way and had the opportunity to really connect as young adults in college and bond.

One of the ways we bonded was the occasional walk to the local Sonic. At first, neither of us had a car (this was before she had her tiny brown Honda Civic), so she'd call or come by my dorm room and say two words: MALT ATTACK! I'd grab whatever change I wasn't saving for laundry and we'd walk over to Sonic and order chocolate malts and just talk. It was awesome.

Friendship doesn't always cost a lot of money, and it isn't always fancy. Sometimes it's just a walk and some chocolate.

_____

* Name has been changed. I'm using Austenian pseudonyms, because it's actually rather fun. Emma Woodhouse from Jane Austen's Emma is one of my favorites. Not that this particular friend has tried to regulate my life as Emma did with Harriet, but you know, favorite friends get favorite Austen names.

To read the introductory post and find links for my whole #write31days series, click here.

No comments: