Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Book of Essie: A Review

The Book of EssieThe Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

I got this book as part of my first Book of the Month box. It was a riveting read, and I had a difficult time putting it down. I was both amazed at Essie's knowledge and manipulation of the system she grew up in, and saddened that people have had to learn to live this way in the public eye. I know from reading a few other reviews that some people felt the end was predictable--and perhaps in a way it was--but it was nice to have things tied together in a way that seemed right for these characters that had gone through so much pain in this story.

I really struggled with whether to give this book 4 or 5 stars, because I felt that some of Roarke's chapters sounded less like a teenage boy than I think is realistic. Even considering that he is very smart and obviously exceptional in many ways, I think his narration sounded more like the other characters' points of view than like his own. Also, there were some things I felt needed more clarity in the backstory that were just not there. Too many variables meant I had a tough time with some of the characterizations. (And yes, I know this observation is vague, but #spoilers.)

In terms of church culture, I think it's consistent within itself. I recognized a few allusions that might be missed by someone who did not grow up in a conservative or evangelical church, which were a bit like finding Easter eggs. This book examines a lot of things about church and yes, cults, that are important. At the end of the day, however, as a Christian I am not willing to throw out the capital-c Church. Do we need to think about our faith? Yes. Do we need to check our attitude about our own congregations, pastors, and beliefs? Yes. Do we need to treat everyone with care and kindness? Absolutely. Do we need to abandon the church altogether? I don't believe so. The ending of the book will not please everyone, but at the end of the day I come back to Jesus's words in Matthew 22, His version of the Jewish prayer Sh'ma:
"Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

Overall, I think this book is a very good story with an overall message of hope.


#BookoftheMonth #TheBookofEssie

No comments: